Are alcoholic mates incorrigible?

Started by Sir Jessy of Anti, Apr 27, 2011, 05:02 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

bluegrass

You may not like the format, but the claim it's some kind of a placebo is bullshit, plain and simple.

I think the claim is that people who drink can just stop.

And I think that's right, because I've seen it.

And that ABSOLUTELY goes against what psychologists and Very Important Dr. Phil-types and all the rest will say.

I've seen a lot of alcoholics in my life and in my opiion there are two kinds:

-Those who drink because they have personality disorders

-Those who have personality disorders because they drink.

The latter can stop.  tThe former cannot.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

neoteny

I've heard psychology types spout things pretty close to saying that no one can stop on their own. You have to put yourself in the hands of a psychologist.

That's what I'm disputing.

No one here made that point and it has nothing to do with what you quoted from CC; apart from that, you're right.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Galt

I've heard psychology types spout things pretty close to saying that no one can stop on their own. You have to put yourself in the hands of a psychologist.

That's what I'm disputing.

No one here made that point and it has nothing to do with what you quoted from CC; apart from that, you're right.

So I was kind of right about something at least. I'm happy about that!

Go Up