Study: 30% of mothers and 40% of fathers are abused during a pregnancy

Started by ., Jul 06, 2007, 09:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Is "Who Me" a troll who is not truly debating?

Yes, she's a troll.  Ban her!
2 (10%)
Yes, she's a troll.  Refute her.
9 (45%)
Yes, she's a troll.  Ignore her.
4 (20%)
She's a thoughtful and fair debater.
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Go Down

Here's a study that just appeared in the Journal of Family Violence:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/x7654m79327161g2/

Published online: 5 July 2007

Abstract:
Using data on a nationally representative cohort of pregnant women in US cities, this study examines the prevalence and correlates of interpersonal violence (IPV) -- physical, emotional, and coercion-control -- during pregnancy and 1 year after birth. Overall, 33% of mothers and 40% of fathers experience some form of IPV during or after pregnancy. Hispanic women and those no longer romantically involved with their children's fathers were most likely to experience IPV during pregnancy. Less educated women, women who reported that they or their spouses used substances (i.e., alcohol or illicit drugs), and women who reported that their pregnancy was unwanted were at high risk of IPV both during and after their pregnancy. Violence during pregnancy strongly predicted violence after pregnancy. Recent immigrants were among the least likely to leave a violent relationship 1-year post-partum. US-born women who were employed during their pregnancy were among the most likely to leave an abusive relationship 1-year post-partum.

Virtue

So men get abused more but the focus is on women.....nuff said
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Mr. X

Yeah where are the stats about the bigger group of abused people... men? Oh wait, men have to take the abuse cause the mother is already suffering.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

who me?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=20316

How about the difference in the result of the abuse?

Are men more likely to die than women?

Or do you guys prefer to overlook the leading cause of death in pregnant women?

TheManOnTheStreet

What's that smell?  Oh damn....  Troll alert!

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

TheManOnTheStreet

Jul 08, 2007, 09:39 AM Last Edit: Jul 08, 2007, 09:44 AM by TheManOnTheStreet

... and by the way trollie... the VERY FIRST SENTENCE of YOUR citation: 

"Homicide is the second most common cause of injury-related death among pregnant women and new mothers, according to a... CDC study released on Tuesday and published in the March issue of the American Journal of Public Health, the Washington Post reports."

Two points to make.  One, I don't believe this junk science for one minute.  and two; nice how you cited it, but twisted the words a tad so it fit your point.  Just where exactly does it say "THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH"??

OK, one more.... the link is to an article (slanted I would guess) "about" the study and not even the study itself!

Gotstah do better than that trollie!

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

who me?

You are right.  It is only the second most common reason for injury related death.  I mistated.

If you read the article and yeah of course the CDC is slanted :rolle:  You would notice it contains several links.  I think the first of which is the study.

And yeah you will probably be very disappointed to see that it was done and published by the American Journal of Public Health.  Are you seriously going to claim some kind of weird conspiracy?  Or do you just prefer to pretend it means nothing?

In your own words:

Garak

You are right.  It is only the second most common reason for injury related death.  I mistated.

If you read the article and yeah of course the CDC is slanted :rolle:  You would notice it contains several links.  I think the first of which is the study.

And yeah you will probably be very disappointed to see that it was done and published by the American Journal of Public Health.  Are you seriously going to claim some kind of weird conspiracy?  Or do you just prefer to pretend it means nothing?

In your own words:

So abuse is ok as long as you don't die? Well, that should kill the DV industry shouldn't it.
I will stop staring at your boobs when you stop staring at my paycheck!

who me?

In your own words:

So abuse is ok as long as you don't die? Well, that should kill the DV industry shouldn't it.

Did anyone say that?

But you seem to want to ignore that abuse goes in both directions.  How often do you read an article about a husband that died as a result of abuse from a female spouse?

What are the stats on that?

But you are content to ignore the fact that women die as a result of abuse from a male spouse?

What are the stats on men that died as a result of violence done to them by other men last year?  Take that number and compare it to the stats of men that died as a result of spousal abuse from a female.

Which number is larger?  Is one more important than the other because of the gender of the abuser?

Violence is a problem that is suffered by both genders.  Do you feel it is tolerable, even excusable if it happens to a female?

Cordell Walker

all BS to the side, most men on some level do feel like that because we are tired of always seeing femazle violence excused
"how can you kill women and children?"---private joker
"Easy, ya just dont lead em as much" ---Animal Mother

who me?

all BS to the side, most men on some level do feel like that because we are tired of always seeing femazle violence excused

I agree that it is ignored by the courts.  The only way to defeat that is to press the charges and shove to see they are considered on an equal footing by the court. 

Ignoring the obvious doesn't mean the you are making progress.  It just shows an ability to deny basic fact.

To excuse violence to anyone is really stupid. 

I read much more than I post here.  Something that I've noticed are the excuses...oh the bitch probably....fill in the blank...she was asking for it.

What does that acheive?  I'll tell what it acheives, it keeps your cause pushed to the back and ignored.

Equality is not acheived by stepping up on the body of another.  Equality is supposed to mean equal not superior or more important.

You shouldn't excuse violence against women any more than you tolerate women excusing violence against men.

The notion that pregnancy is a time when women are vulnerable to homicide was promoted in a series by the Washington Post a couple years back.  Then it was refuted, in Slate magazine:
http://www.slate.com/Default.aspx?id=2111390

who me?

The notion that pregnancy is a time when women are vulnerable to homicide was promoted in a series by the Washington Post a couple years back.  Then it was refuted, in Slate magazine:
http://www.slate.com/Default.aspx?id=2111390

That wasn't an article from the Washington Post. 

That link goes to the CDC website.  The study was done by the American Journal of Public Health.

Slate?  Give me a break please... :laughing6:

dr e

You can see from the stats below (easier to see them on the link) that men comprise over 76% of the murder victims in the US.  Deaths within a family men still are more likely to be murdered 51% -  48%.  Importantly look at the perpetrators of intimate homicides where women are 34.7% of the perps and  family homicides and notice that it is 29.4% female.  They also are twice as likely to murder their children (mothers only 31%) than fathers only (14%).  Women are far from exempt from responsibility when it comes to murder.  Do men murder more often?  Yes.  ARe they the only culprits?  No.  If we are going to have movements for men stopping male violence then it is time for us to see some movement of women stopping female violence.  Why don't we hear about that?  LOL!

The pregnancy question is a bit different and I hope I can find time to post a little on that one.  Right now I am swamped with the conference.

E

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/gender.htm

Homicide Type by Gender, 1976-2004
                                Victims         Offenders
                               Male    Female         Male    Female
  All homicides    76.5%       23.5%         88.7%    11.3%
Victim/offender relationship                        
           Intimate     36.5%    63.5%              65.3%    34.7%
            Family    51.7%    48.3%         70.6%    29.4%
       Infanticide    54.5%    45.5%         61.8%    38.2%
           Eldercide    58.3%    41.7%         85.3%    14.7%
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

dr e

Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Go Up